Freeport-McMoRan lays off more than 650 workers in Chile

U.S.-based mining company Freeport-McMoRan said it was laying off more than 650 workers at its El Abra copper mine in northern Chile due to sharply lower prices of the red metal.

The workers affected by the layoffs will receive severance packages that exceed what is required under Chilean law, a company spokesperson told reporters on Wednesday.

The mine is located in the Atacama Desert at a spot some 90 kilometers (56 miles) from the city of Calama.

The layoffs come as the company is implementing a roughly 50 percent drop in mining, stacking and crushing rates at the mine, in which Freeport owns a 51 percent stake and Chilean state-owned copper giant Codelco has the remaining 49 percent interest.

The FTC copper workers’ federation slammed the layoffs as “unilateral and arbitrary.”

“This business conduct … is incompatible with the inclusive, virtuous and socially responsible behavior that should prevail as an ethical imperative among all operators in the mining industry,” the FTC said on its Web site.

In remarks to Bio Bio radio, the president of the El Abra mine’s San Lorenzo union, Oscar Arnes, blasted the layoffs as “unjustified” and criticized the government for failing to respond to the dismissals.

Arizona-based Freeport is the world’s second-largest copper producer after Codelco.


Recent News

Versatile Carmix takes concrete to North Mara Gold Mine in Tanzania
    The gold mine in North Mara is situated in the north-west of Tanzania, at about 100 kilometres east of Lake Victoria and 20 kilometres south of the border with Kenya. The gold mine works an average of 8,000 tonnes of minerals a day and produced 287,188 ounces of gold in 2015. The gold
Workers’ Memorial Day, observed each year on April 28, honors workers killed, injured, or made ill at work. Since 1992, BLS has collected data on both nonfatal work injuries and illnesses that result in days away from work, and fatal work injuries. In 2015, the occupations with the highest number of nonfatal injuries and illnesses
The undercarriage of a machine represents a significant portion of a piece of equipment’s purchase price. Proper maintenance and operation practices are critical for protecting your equipment investment. Undercarriage maintenance is critical to the overall productivity of a machine. It is the mechanism that gives tracked machines much of their power and stability. It also
Deere Adds 8-Year / 20K Hour Warranty on 944K Electric-Drive Components
John Deere is now offering a 96-month / 20,000-hour power electronic components warranty on the Deere 944K hybrid wheel loader. The warranty is retroactive to existing machines in the field and provided on new 944K loaders through October 31, 2018. The warranty includes a 96-month (eight-year) or 20,000-hour (whichever comes first) non-prorated assurance on wheel
  Vermeer’s Silver Series drill rod is composed of S135 common grade steel and is threaded in the same facility as the company’s Firestick drill rod with the same column wall thickness. The Silver Series drill rod is available in four sizes: 1.66-inch, 1.9-inch, 2.06-inch, and 2.375-inch, for use on the D7x11 through the D24x40
CHILE: Construcción regional cae 7,5% y suma dos meses con cifras en rojo
Datos de Cámara Chilena de la Construcción estimaron retroceso de 7,5% en febrero que se suma al -10% de enero. Se busca consolidar esfuerzos público-privados para enmendar el rumbo. Por primera vez desde el año 2002, cuando se comenzó a publicar el Índice de Actividad de la Construcción Regional (INACOR), la Región de Coquimbo inicia

About Us

In Tractopart we supply quality construction Parts and Heavy Equipment Parts with excellent discount rate for New , Used Rebuilt & Surplus parts for excavators, Wheel loader dozers, and undercarriage for all heavy equipment brands, we are locate in Miami, Fl

Contact Info


At Tractopart we focus on providing high quality parts at a great price. Our parts are subjected to rigorous inspection procedures that allow us to ensure product quality.

Phone: 786.219.1010
Main Office: 3505 South Ocean Drive #204
Hollywood, FL 33019